Post Delivery Blushers...


.

Yes, I must blush slightly as I write this one out. But again, these were things that I never really asked anyone else about, because, well, it's embarrassing! So, for those of you too embarrassed to ask anyone else about this stuff, here is my experience... *Blush*

Everyone always talks about pooping on the table during labor. I was a little nervous about it, but as everyone I've ever talked to about it says "once you get to that point, you just don't care"... well, they were right! I honestly have no idea if I did or not! I asked DH about it, and he said he didn't know either, he wasn't looking!

Aside from labor bathroom issues though, is the daunting task of the first post delivery pee and poop. I was really scared to do both I must say! I ended up waiting quite a while after delivery to go to the bathroom. Our LO was in the NICU and they wouldn't let me go and see her until I'd peed, but they wouldn't let me get up to do that until my epidural wore off completely. So, about 6 hours after delivery, I was able to lift both of my legs (the 'sign' that I was epi free enough to walk), and called a nurse to help me to the bathroom. I was so scared to pee, I was sure it was going to burn like crazy, especially since I had a tear and had been cut during delivery. The peeing wasn't exactly comfortable, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd worked it up to be in my mind! The little squirt bottle that the nurse used to clean my lady bits was awesome. Warm water was just the thing to make me feel oh so much cleaner than I'd been feeling since delivery. She also used a warm wash cloth to pat me so I wasn't dripping water.

I'd have never in my wildest dreams imagined that I would ever in my lifetime, sit on a toilet and let another woman clean my lady bits! But, at that point, I didn't care, I was pretty much 'unshameable'. I know that's not really a word, but that's where I was at!

Then there is the post delivery pooping. They gave me a Colace (stool softener) 3 times a day for the 2 days I was in the hospital, the first pill was probably 30 minutes after delivery. I'd had a huge baby, a vacuum birth and some pretty intense damage 'down there', the thought of pushing anything else out was something I could definitely do without for a while! So, literally, don't push it! I finally pooped for the first time 3 days after delivery. It took forever, but I just let the build up of 'need to go' pressure do MOST of the work for me! I was so scared to go that I'd put it off till I was actually getting uncomfortable. That maybe wasn't the smartest idea, but it wasn't like I was holding it in, it just didn't NEED to come out yet! When it did, since I didn't really have to push, it wasn't very painful at all. Definitely take the stool softeners that they give you, or take your own!

Then, there's the final 'blusher' topic: Gas... you will not believe the gas that you will have after delivery! Especially the first 2 days. If you're modest or don't want everyone in the world to hear you, ahem, pass wind, wait to use the bathroom until there isn't anyone else in your room. Bathrooms Echo! You can probably let it go in front of people if your just sitting down, it doesn't smell, it's just air, and your diaper sized pad will muffle it if it even makes a sound, which mine only have in the bathroom! I have no idea how a body can hold that much air, but, i guess there's room for it since there's no longer a baby in there!

So, those are my post delivery blushers. I hope it gives some of the readers, who'd be to embarrassed to ask anyone else, some perspective!

Your Reply